Quick Search:
    Saturday, December 16, 2017

What kind of farm equipment?

  • Farm equipment/machinery includes any mechanical unit used directly and principally for the purpose of producing agricultural products, and includes farm tractors, tillage, seeding, spraying, harvesting, hay making, feed processing, livestock feeding and handling, and manure spreading equipment.
  • It does not include items used for shelter/storage of agricultural products (i.e. grain bins, hopper bottoms or cones, livestock shelters, etc.).
  • There is a list of examples of farm machinery in the fact sheet at the bottom of this page.

When DO I need a permit to move farm equipment?

  • When farm equipment is being towed or is self propelled:
    • on a designated highway (see fact sheet below) and protrudes into the oncoming lane for a two lane highway;
    • on a designated highway (see fact sheet below) and protrudes into the passing lane for a four lane highway; or
    • at night (between sunset and sunrise) on a non designated highway.
  • When farm equipment is loaded on a vehicle or dollies and travels on, or along, any provincial highway (when exceeding 2.6 m or 8.6 ft wide).

When DON’T I need a permit to transport machinery?

  • Farm equipment that is being moved on a municipal road, and does not enter the provincial highway system does not require a permit.
  • Farm equipment that is towed behind a motor vehicle or that is self propelled on a non designated provincial highway does not require a permit if travelling during daylight hours.

If I don’t need a permit, do I need over-dimension signs and flashing beacons?

  • They are not mandatory but recommended.

When CAN’T I haul loaded farm equipment?

  • There are some restrictions on moving loaded farm equipment on Fridays, Sundays and Statutory Holidays. Times include:
    • After 3 p.m. on Fridays (starting the Friday before Victoria Day in May and ending on Labour Day in September).
    • After 12 p.m. (noon) on Sundays, Public Holidays, December 24, 27, and 31.
    • After 3 p.m. on the day prior to a Public Holiday.  If a Holiday falls on a Monday, normal Sunday restrictions apply.
    • After 3 p.m. on Fridays, when a Public Holiday falls on the following Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.

What if my machinery is over the maximum size limits for annual permits?

  • Single trip permits are available if machinery exceeds the maximum size limits up to an unlimited amount.  If over 7.3m in width, route approval is required.  If over 5.18 m in height, permits are subject to clearance of vertical structures and utilities (ex. power lines).

Which highways are classified as designated highways?

  • All designated highways are outlined in the fact sheet below. All highways not listed in the fact sheet below are non-designated highways.

What if my machinery is partially loaded on a dolly, but is running on its own wheels?

  • If the machinery is partially loaded on a dolly, and is also running on its own wheels, it is considered towed farm equipment, and follows the permit guidelines for towed farm equipment.

When do I need escort vehicles?

  • Please refer to the fact sheet below.

What kind of escorts do I need?

  • Regulation escort vehicles are required:
    • When equipment is loaded and exceeds dimensions (please refer to the fact sheet below)
    • When travelling from dealership to dealership
    • When travelling from dealership to auction
  • Farm escort vehicles are required:
    • When travelling from dealership to farm
    • When travelling only on municipal roads

How do I know if my machinery will protrude into another lane?

  • Most lanes on provincial highways are between 3.5 m and 3.7 m wide.  If the equipment is wider, you may need an escort or permit.

Can I travel on the shoulder of a highway when hauling equipment?

  • If equipment is towed, it is allowed to travel on the shoulder.  If the equipment is loaded, it is not allowed to travel on the shoulder.

Can you pull a trailer with a farm tractor?

  • A tractor towing equipment other than farm equipment may be subject to the Traffic Safety Act. Please contact the SGI Vehicle Standards and Inspections Office 306-775-6190 for more information.

Where can I get more information?


Contact the SGI Permit Office at:

306-775-6969 in Saskatchewan or;

1-800-667-7575 outside of Saskatchewan, or the

Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure at 306-787-5307.

Features/Transporting Farm Equipment
© 2017 Government of Saskatchewan. All rights reserved.